This program is designed for the student interested in a career in optometric research. The OD/PhD Dual Degree Program results in an OD degree from NECO and a PhD from Boston University’s Division of Graduate Medical Sciences.
Students may apply to enter the OD/PhD Dual Degree Program during their first year at NECO. Applications are reviewed by the NECO Graduate Studies Committee. For students recommended for the OD/PhD program, a secondary application and review is then due to, and completed by the Boston University Division of Graduate Medical Sciences.
Application Instructions for the OD/PhD Dual Degree Program
- Please print and complete the Graduate Programs Dual Degree Application Form, which includes application instructions.
- Request that your official Undergraduate transcript(s) and official NECO transcript be released to the Office of Admissions by submitting the "Photocopy Request Form for Student Documents" (page four of the application document) to the NECO Registrar's Office.
- By signing the application form, you consent to allowing the Office of Admissions to release your letters of recommendation and official OAT scores (on file from your application to the NECO OD program) to the Graduate Studies Committee.
- Interviews will be conducted on a case-by-case basis.
- OD/PhD candidates that are recommended by the NECO Graduate Studies Committee must submit the Boston University PhD application by February 15, 2019. The application can be found at https://bu-gms.liaisoncas.com/applicant-ux/#/login.
Submission and Notification Deadlines
- Submit your completed application to the NECO Office of Admissions by December 15, 2018.
- Candidates will be notified of a decision by January 15, 2019.
- If you are recommended for admission to the Program, you must complete the PhD program application by February 15, 2019 through the Division of Graduate Medical Sciences at BU.
- You will be notified of a decision from BU by March 31, 2019.