On Friday, October 13, 2017, New England College of Optometry (NECO) hosted its annual Alumni Reception at Academy 2017 in Chicago. The conference, held on October 11-14, 2017, was the 96th annual meeting of the American Academy of Optometry. It was the largest meeting in the Academy’s history with over of 7,500 registrants. Attendees engaged in high-quality continuing education sessions, experienced new products and technologies in the exhibit hall, and learned the latest in vision research that is advancing the profession.
A highlight of the meeting for NECO was the Annual Alumni and Friends Reception held on Friday, October 13th, at the Palmer House Hilton. It was standing room only in the Crystal Ballroom as Alumni Relations hosted a registered, record attendance of 250 guests. Handshakes, reunions, smiles, photos, networking and news were the order of the evening.
Serving as honorary emcee, President Clifford Scott, OD 68,’ provided a College update, including the newly announced partnership with Orbis International, the grand opening of NECO’s Center for Eye Care clinic on Commonwealth Avenue and thanked NECO’s corporate partners. President Scott proudly recognized our “Academy Award” winning alumni and students:
- Mitchell Scheiman,OD’75: Glenn A. Fry Award and Lecture
- Eli Peli, OD ’83: Charles F. Prentice Medal and Lecture Award
- Lynette Johns, OD ’04: Foundation Founders Award
- Elise Harb, OD ’04: Michael G. Harris Ezell Fellow Award
- Laura Goldberg, OD ’16: Julius F. Neumueller Award in Optics
- Kristen Kerber, OD ’16: J & J Residency Award
- Rachel Young, OD ’16: Rosenbloom Low Vision Residency Award
- Dmitriy Richter, Class of 2019: Creator & Chief Developer, OpTranslate (Optometric Translation App)
- Shane Stevens, Class of 2018: Illustrator, Optopoetry: Poems & Drawings All About Vision (book)
As the program continued, Dr. Tony Cavallerano, OD, Director of Professional Relations and Margery Warren, Director of Alumni Relations announced news of upcoming alumni programs, continuing education events and concluded with the ever popular NECO Swag Raffle.